Janet Calano focuses her practice on Real Estate, Contracts, Wills, Trusts, Estate and Surrogate Matters. A majority of her work is involved in counseling and representing people who like the personal attention of having their attorney understand and be responsive to their specific needs.
The cases Janet has handled have involved the full range of Real Estate deals including representing purchasers and sellers of single family homes, co-ops and condos to apartment buildings. The commercial matters she has handle range from the formation of new businesses to the sale of businesses.
In reference to Wills, Trusts, Estate and Surrogate Matters, she has represented those with simple Wills and Estates to complex matters involving international property ownership and other complex issues.
- Juris Doctor (1985)
- Pace University Law School Bachelor of Arts (1982)
- State University of New York at Albany
- State of New York (1986)
- Real Estate Wills
- Trusts and Estates
- Commercial Law
- Article 78
- Criminal Defense
- Senatorial Woman of Distinction (2003)
- Outstanding Woman in the Community (1995)
- New York State Bar Association
- Eastchester Bar Association, past President
- Columbian Lawyers Association
- Chairperson of the Committee to Redraft the Zoning Code of the Town of Eastchester
- Former Attorney for the Junior League of Scarsdale
- Eastchester School Foundation, Executive Board Recording Secretary
- Member of the Screening Committee to Select Principal to the Waverly School
- Parent Teacher Association Member
- Compact Team for Anne Hutchinson School
- Former Compact Team for Waverly School
- Member of the Regis High School Parent’s club
Janet Madonia Calano assists clients in residential and commercial real estate transactions as well as with trusts and estates. From her offices in White Plains, and New York City, Janet Madonia Calano has represented clients doing real estate business in Westchester, New York City and the surrounding areas.
- Adverse possession
- Confessions of judgment
- Ejectment and quiet title actions
- Land use development
- Leasing disputes
- Life estates and rights occupancy
- Premises liability
- Title Insurance
RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE
From contract to closing Janet represents both buyers and sellers of real estate. Real estate transactions must be undertaken with meticulous attention to detail in order to avoid any errors that could lead to problems in the future, Janet has extensive experience researching, drafting, and negotiating leasing contracts, sales contracts, deeds, and other documents and agreements. In all cases Janet provides a candid and thorough analysis prior to contract signing. At closing, she assists her clients in determining whether the terms of sales contracts have been properly met, such as financing and warranties. She either prepares or reviews all of the documents involved, such as loan and financing agreements and the property deed, while managing the list of tasks that must be completed, such as ensuring the deed is properly recorded. Janet regularly works with banks, mortgage brokers, and bank attorneys to help her clients obtain loans, refinance existing loans, or pay off mortgages.
COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Along with representing residential buyers and sellers, Janet also handles commercial real estate matters, such as the purchase and sale of multifamily dwellings, office buildings and retail properties.
TRUSTS AND ESTATES
Alongside her real estate practice, Janet establishes trusts and prepares wills on behalf of her clients. In numerous cases she has drafted wills for clients that she had previously represented in a real estate matter, and prepared wills for clients with beneficiaries spread around the globe. Janet also has experience establishing trusts, health care proxies, living wills, and powers of attorney. Janet has helped clients petition the New York Surrogate’s Court in numerous probate proceedings.